Sunday 23 June 2013

Skyrim - Hunters Guild - MOD


While looking through the forum of Great House Fliggerty, I saw the topic of a Hunters Guild being discussed and joined in.

This is a part of the initial post :

"It surprises me that, in a land this wild, this large, and this full of wildlife, there seems to be lacking a hall, guild, or organization for hunters. A large wooden hall set in the woods where woodsmen, hunters, and other nature based people could gather together to trade tales, trophies, gear, and spoils of the hunt. Where men of skill can offer young upstarts training in the ways of stealth, to better sneak up on wild game, in the ways of the bow to easily take down their quarries, and perhaps even those who would offer training in alchemy. It could be a nice place nestled in the woods at the base of a mountain where game is plentiful and nature abounds.Some things it should have include:
Trainers: Archery, Light Armor, Sneaking, Alchemy, maybe One-Handed
Vendors: Bows and Arrows, Axes and Daggers, Light Armor (Fur, Leather, Studded), Potions and Ingredients (Fitting the hunter's lifestyle), Food, Materials/Trophies (Pelts, Furs, Tusks, Beaks, Claws, etc Anything found on an animal or beast.)
Crafting: Forge, Table, Grindstone, Leather Rack, Cooking Pot, Woodcutting, Maybe Alchemists Table"

After a few posts I decided to have a go at making a MOD for a Hunters Guild. I am writing this assuming the readers have an understanding of the Creation Kit. If not then leave a comment and I could do a series of posts covering the basics.

The initial idea I had was to place the Guild in a Forest or wooded area which seemed like the logical place as most of you would agree I'm sure. However when I started to look at the map of Skyrim through the Creation Kit I realized that it is covered with traps, triggers and a whole host of other stuff that is not visible to the player in-game. As I did not want to move or delete or tamper with any of the original game design it didn't leave me with much choice left as far as locating my Guild went. I also couldn't really find a nice wooded area to use without me having to add a lot of trees or moving trees around which would also mean redoing the navmesh.

I had another good think about the location problem and part of the process involved me running around Skyrim with my character to find nice looking locations.
 

I did find something completely opposite to the original idea which was the Tundra Plains area just West of Whiterun. I found a beautiful spot near a river with amazing views of the mountains (see pictures above and below) and while I was standing there in-game I saw some deer come up to the water and drink, I knew then that it was a good spot! even if there were no trees in sight.



Now that I had the location it was time to think about what buildings were going to make up the Hunters Guild.


No comments:

Post a Comment