Thursday 6 December 2012

Whiterun and Carriage ride to Solitude




I once again start the day early at the chopping block, food and ale costs money and my coin pouch always seems too light. My thoughts are quickly interrupted by a beautiful sunrise which I take the time to enjoy.


I return to the Bannered Mare and collect my payment while enjoying a breakfast of cold cuts from last night’s roast. 

While I am savouring the smoky taste of the meats I ponder my next move. The journey to Riverwood wasn’t of any real value as I am no closer to finding out anything about my past.

Perhaps I need to try a different big town, maybe Solitude but before I do that though, I want to explore the parts of Whiterun I missed on my first visit.

I leave the Inn and head up to Dragonsreach, when delivering the sword to the Steward on my previous visit I noticed the Court Mage tinkering away in his laboratory, I wanted to speak to him but wasn’t able to at that time, so I will start with him.

On entering his laboratory the Mage is hunched over his table studying some, no doubt secret, scrolls. 
I greet him in a softly not wanting to anger him and get turned into a chicken or something even worse for my troubles. 


The Mage looks up ‘Do you know about the Mages Guild’

‘I confess am ignorant of all things arcane’ I mumble politely.

Farengar’s gaze is piercing and I feel as though he is looking into my very soul.

‘Are you interested in learning some rudimentary enchantment techniques?’ he almost whispers.

I think about my response for a moment and decide it should be safe enough.

‘Sure’ I stammer, not knowing what will happen next.

Moving to the Arcane Enchanter he calls me over and explains the basic technique of first disenchanting something to learn its particular enchantment then re-enchanting a new item using a soul gem.

‘Thank you so much’ I blurt out, not having the faintest idea what he was talking about.

‘In exchange for my little lesson, I wish you to deliver something to Arcadia for me as I don’t have time right now’ Farengar utters.

‘With pleasure’ I respond feeling a bit like a courier service. 


Farengar gives me the Frost Salts for Arcadia and hunches back over his scrolls oblivious to my presence. Leaving the laboratory I end my tour of the Jarls Seat of Power.

I make my way to Arcadia’s to deliver the salts. On the way I pass by a religious nut, pronouncing doom on the world, standing in front of a statue of Talos. I cant take his ravings more than a few minutes and move on.

  
Continuing past the preacher I see the Temple of Kynareth and enter.


Danica Pure-Spring greets me warmly and enquires about my health, thanking her; I reply that my health is just fine.

If I don’t want to be cured then perhaps a donation of some kind she proffers. Damn these priests are good! 

I drop a few coins into the collection box and ask about the history of the Temple. 

Danica talks about the how the Gildergreen Tree standing just outside is ailing and needs restoring of some kind and how she wishes for someone to undertake the arduous task on her behalf. Damn these priests are good! 

I inform her that I am not the one she is looking for but perhaps another donation will aid her in her search. I don’t wait for a reply before heading out the door.

I walk down the steps and across the market and enter Arcadia’s Alchemy shop.


Arcadia is so ecstatic with the delivery that she offers to give me some more training in the arts of alchemy, I gladly accept, at least this makes sense to me.

Walking past the Drunken Huntsmen Tavern I turn right and come to the Hall of the Dead. 

 
Do I need to go in there I ask myself. Perhaps the priest will recognise me or remember some family member entombed within. The decision made I enter. 

The first area consists of a chapel and in it, prominently displayed, is the Shrine of Arkay. Adjacent to this is a living quarters presumably the priests.


In these living quarters I find the priest, Andurs, looking bewildered. 

‘Are you well? Priest’ I ask.

‘I’ve misplaced my Amulet; it’s the most valuable item I own’ Andurs replies.

‘Do you remember where you saw it last?’ Thinking the answer might not be what I want to hear.

‘In the catacombs’ Andurs says sheepishly.

‘So what’s stopping you from going to retrieve it’ I reply, my voice betraying a bit of nervousness. I definitely don’t like where this is going.

‘I am an old man and recently my mind has been playing tricks with me, sometimes I hear noises and they frighten me. Can you go into the catacombs and retrieve my Amulet for me?’ Andurs pleads.

‘If I have no other choice’ I sigh.


Not showing the Priest my fear I enter the catacombs.

No sooner do I look around the chamber when I am beset by a skeleton brandishing a sword. 

I dodge the first blow and draw my weapon, now we can dance together, my strikes are too much for this animated set of bones and I quickly send it back to where it came from. Experience tells me there are probably more where this one came from and I proceed with caution. I encounter two further skeletons which I dispatch without too much fuss. I have come a long way since my first terrifying encounter with that wolf on the South Road at Mixwater Mill.


I search the catacombs and sure enough I find the missing Amulet and return to Andurs.

‘Here is you amulet’ I declare triumphantly.

‘Thank you, my son. You have made an old man happy, may the god Arkay bless you’ Andurs pronounces in return.


I accept a small reward for my kindness and leave the Hall of the Dead as Andurs can shed no further light on my situation.

Midday over, I return to the Bannered Mare and pack up my meager belongings. 

Its time to leave for Solitude.



No comments:

Post a Comment