Friday 30 November 2012

Returning to Whiterun



I wake up with Sven’s drum beating in my head or at least that’s what it feels like. I wash in the coldest water I kind find and have some breakfast, no mead for me now just plain water.
 
Once I can think without my brain hurting I realize there is nothing more for me to learn here, no one has recognized me. I will return to Whiterun today.

I pack my gear and head out of town via the same route I arrived. Crossing the bridge I notice that there is a path, not well worn, that looks to bisect the mountain. I take the path hoping for a short cut. 

Reaching the highest point of the path the snow starts to fall around me, soft flakes of white fluff. I stop a moment and enjoy the wonderland.


About half an hour later I head down the mountain and the weather clears allowing me to take in the majesty of the tundra and mountains bordering it.




At the bottom of the mountain I survey the tundra trying to spot some game.


 I don’t see anything in the way of game so I decide to do some more exploring while I am here. I head roughly towards Whiterun while trying to cover some new ground.A short time later I am hailed by a stranger, a Vigilant of Stendarr.


I greet her warmly and ask if she has seen any deer.

She answers ‘A Vigilant of Stendarr only hunts undead and more specifically Deadra.’ Pretty serious group of people I think to myself.

I assure her I am very much alive and have seen no undead of any kind today. We go our separate ways.

Scanning the ground for spoor I hear what sounds like Mammoths and follow the noise until I discover a giant’s camp! The giant spots me and waves his club above his head in a threatening manner.


Time for me to leave!

I backtrack and make my way around the camp glancing back often to ensure the giant is not following me.

Whack! 

An arrow hits me in the chest; luckily my steel armour deflects the shaft, the wind driven from my lungs my thoughts are instantaneously focused on where the arrow came from. I crouch behind my shield for protection as a skeleton rushes up and lands a savage blow to my raised shield.


Angry that I was taken unawares I lash out and after trading several mighty blows I hack the skeletons head clean off, I deal with a second skeleton in a similar fashion.

Where is that Vigilant of Stendarr now when I could have used her help!

Next to the shattered bones of the skeletons I see an altar and on it a dead acolyte.



Some dark ritual that went wrong? Maybe the skeletons turned on their master? No one will ever know now.

Surveying the area I see what looks to be the reason, a lone skeleton not far away standing amongst some ritual stones of some kind.

I hurriedly take cover behind some bushes in case it spots me.


It seems different than the ones I have just hacked apart; perhaps this lone skeleton is the master which commanded its minions to deal with the acolyte?

Not wishing to engage this lone skeleton I work my way around the area and continue on in the direction of Whiterun.

Shortly afterward I come across some standing stones; the tundra is full of surprises today.


Scouting the area carefully I can see it’s devoid of creatures both alive and dead. Moving to the centre of the stones I see what must be some kind of puzzle.


Figuring out the correct arrangement of marker stones nearby I turn the lever and a metal grate opens to reveal some stairs.



At the bottom of the stairs I see a skeleton, dead this time, the poor fellow was probably trapped inside when the grate closed behind him and starved to death.
 
I descend the stairwell making sure to wedge a large rock between the grate and the opening so that I don’t befall the same fate.

Investigate the body and find no identifying items; inside the chest next to the body I find a few items worth keeping, I stow them in my pack and set off for Whiterun once again.

Back in the city at The Bannered Mare I rent my usual room and settle down for dinner and a well-deserved rest.



I enjoy mingling with the patrons and build on new friendships by regaling them of my tales on the Tundra.


 
Tired, I turn in early and while lying on my bed I think about the day’s events. Realizing I am no longer completely afraid of danger my over-confidence almost got me killed today. 

I need to keep my wits about me if I want to live a long happy life in Skyrim.




 

No comments:

Post a Comment