Saturday 10 November 2012

Whiterun at Last




I can’t afford to let my guard down now that I am so close, I keep my eyes peeled for any potential problems. 

I walk past a beautiful mountain, must be the biggest one I’ve seen in Skyrim.


 At last almost safe.



Another hour or so of walking brings me to the outskirts of the city and with relief I see a city guard and ask him where I am, he replies Whiterun, and then he adds "stay out of trouble".



I grin because that’s all I want to do.

I walk past the outlying farms and notice that there are few workers in the fields, must be the same problem Gilfre has, the war. Damn! I forgot to ask the guard about the war.

Further ahead I come to the stables and hear that they sell horses, good to know.



I also see a carriage that travels between the main cities, again good to know.



  I follow the road into the city proper and enter the gates, safe again.


Closing the city gates behind me I come across the smith and a soldier discussing the very war I want to know more about. I stop nearby and listen. 

It seems the whole country is at war and all its resources are being funnelled into the war machine. I can’t believe that bandits still have the courage to prey on innocents along the roadside with so many soldiers moving around.

I move on and see a welcome sign.


 I head inside hoping to rent a room and make some inquiries.


Turns out it’s a tavern and the keeper has an interesting tale about how he got the name for it. 

Downing a bottle of mead I listen to his tale, his drunken brother shot an arrow into his nether regions on some hunt and that’s how he got the name, The Drunken Huntsman!

If I had to choose, I would rather have my nether regions intact than have a tavern but that’s just me. The Daedra gods are cruel for sure.

I ask about a bed and he refers me to the ‘Bannered Mare’. I take my leave.

Following his directions I pass the market square, the stall owners are shutting up shop. Nearby is a  general store and a herbalist.

I will explore more on the morrow but now I need a bed.


I enter the inn and am greeted by a bard’s song and the pleasant sounds of the patrons merriment. 

I lean against the nearest pillar and just listen, feeling the tension leave my bones. The bard finishes and the patrons clap their hands wanting more.


 I move to the bar and ask about a room.


I rent one for 10 gold pieces, pretty expensive, guess that’s city prices for you. I grab a mug of ale and move back to the crowd, staying around the outskirts, listening to what is being said and making polite conversation where needed. 

A woman with ambition, Ysolda I think her name was.



A member of one of two feuding families, the Battle-Born's.



A beggar that at least is direct with me, a gold coin he wants, I oblige feeling very generous tonight.



Nobody seems to recognise me though, why did my instincts tell me to come here I wonder?

Exhaustion takes hold of me and I head for bed. Tomorrow is another day, I made it to Whiterun.


 Its Tirdas, 11:15 pm, 19th day of Last Seed.



No comments:

Post a Comment