Friday 2 November 2012

Scouting the Surrounding Area



The next day bright and early, after a light breakfast, I resume my wood chopping and work steadily till noon. Thankfully my body does not ache all the time and I feel much better. 

I head over to Gilfre and ask about the area, she tells me that the road going north leads to Windhelm and the southern road can take me to Ivarstead or Whiterun. I still can’t remember any of these places but I need to go to one of them as it’s probably a better place to begin my search for any clues as to my identity.

I take a look at my options.

The road north.


 
 The road south.


I need more information so I decide to scout out the two roads before making a decision on which one to take.

After a snack I head off down the north road and as it runs parallel to the river I try and stick close to the river bank. Not far from the mill I see fish in the river and try to catch some to augment my dwindling food supplies. It turns out the current is too strong and the fish too fast, maybe later, time is moving.


I clamber out of the water dripping wet and right in front of me a single wolf.


Something tells me there should be more but its alone and its eating something. I sneak up as close as possible then rush forward for the kill! The lone wolf meets its end swiftly.


I walk over to see what it was feeding on. A mountain goat, I lost out to the fish earlier but into my lap falls some fresh meat and another skin to utilise.


I continue sneaking along the road with the river in view and just up ahead I see a cabin of sorts.


Could it be inhabited? Maybe they are not so friendly; wolves are one thing, fully armoured bandits could be way too much for my growing confidence. I decide stealth is the best option and move closer as quietly as possible. As I get nearer I see movement, it’s not human from the look of things.


My heart is starting to beat a bit faster now, I just need to get a bit close to make sure…



A Sabre tooth!  Better get out of here before it sees me. This beast is way too much for me.  I turn around and head back to the road when I come face to face with the rest of the lone wolf’s pack. My heart begins to race, they attack together, trying to get under my sword cuts. I slash at the first then turning I bring my sword crashing straight down onto the other wolfs skull, it splits in two, the remaining wolf howls in sympathy for its dead brothers. It rushes me again intent on revenge, I step aside and dispatch it with a thrust to the heart. 

It’s over! panting I strip the pelts and wonder how long my luck will last, how stupid to assume that the first wolf was alone, I knew better. 


I turn back to the Mill.


I come across some iron ore just off the road in between the rocks, pity I have no pick axe to mine it.


Now I need to scout out the southern road. 

I walk past the Mill and up the road trying to make as little noise as possible. 

My foray up the north road has made me even more cautious. 

I see a bridge just up ahead and slow down, I crouch down and ease toward the bridge and sure enough just a short distance ahead in a glade of trees is a man.

I take cover behind a rock and watch him for any signs of hostility, I can see he is not armed nor is he wearing any armour, it appears as though he is enjoying a drink of some kind. Very odd indeed, but a good sign none the less. After some time has passed I decide he is not dangerous and slowly walk towards him.
 

As I get closer he sees me and starts to walk toward me, I grip my sword hilt, this time ready to draw it before things go wrong. 

He gives me a grin after greeting me like some long lost friend, do I know this man? I greet him in return and notice over his shoulder two other men still in the glade. Is this the moment I get ambushed again! 

The stranger asks if I am thirsty and invites me to join his party for a drink, a special kind of mead he says. 

My mind is racing now, maybe its poisoned! 

Should I run or attack now before it’s too late? I hesitate and the moment is gone.


He offers me the mead and they all toast my health, I drink up and enjoy the honey liquor slipping down my throat, if I am going to die it will at least taste good.   

I don’t die; instead we all have another and another. Lightheaded we bid each other goodbye; turns out they are just a bunch of revellers looking for a drinking buddy. 

I am in no condition to make rational decisions now but I walk on a bit further and take a look at the river running alongside the road. I may be able to skirt alongside it and bypass that fortification not far up the road. 

I definitely don’t want to walk past that.



Enough for today, dusk is approaching so I head back to the workers cabin that has been my home for the last few days.

I enter the cabin, sitting down to have some food and ponder my choices. 


The north road seemed to have way too many dangerous creatures roaming around. 

The south road didn’t have any creatures but did have that fortification right next to the road; at least I could sneak by along the river’s edge. 

I will sleep on it and decide in the morning. Only thing is I can’t sleep now, too much nervous energy running through me, so I decide to do some reading. 

I move to the table and have a look at the three books I salvaged from the caravan. 

Did any of them belong to me I wonder? 

Two of the books are the second part of a series so I settle on the third one 'A Book of Daedra', it describes all the gods of Skyrim and their fickle natures.

Some bed time reading.





Finishing the book I climb into the bunk and fall asleep almost immediately.






No comments:

Post a Comment